It is an exciting time to be involved in grassroots efforts to support expanding CHOICE for people with disabilities! After several years of frustrating policies, we have seen the momentum shift. In fact, right now, there is legislation in Congress that would expand employment options for people with disabilities. The bill, H.R. 5658 or the Workplace Choice and Flexibility for Individuals with Disabilities Act, would amend the definition of Competitive Integrated Employment. As you know, Competitive Integrated Employment is so narrowly defined by the government that it is causing people with disabilities to lose out on work opportunities. This bill will go a long way toward fixing the problem. Yet, that is not all H.R. 5658 does. It also represents a giant step forward in keeping the momentum going.
We need your help! We cannot do this without all of you. With your help we can improve the lives of people with disabilities all over the country and ensure that every person has the right to pursue the work and residential choice that best aligns with their goals and abilities.
What can I do?
Tell your representative to co-sponsor H.R. 5658.
- CLICK HERE to go to the ACCSES Action Center – “Support and Cosponsor H.R. 5658”
- Tell your Members of Congress to cosponsor and pass this important bill to increase employment opportunities for people with disabilities. The subject and message o
- f the body is already filled in. However, feel free to add your own personal comment.
- Based on the address you enter, your message will immediately be sent to the appropriate representative.
- Tell your family and friends to do the same!
Show Congress that CHOICE matters.
Be part of the force for change.
View our video at here
Please follow the directions and respond. There is not a need to write more than 2 or 3 sentences.
Margaret M. Winn
· On February 24, 2017, President Trump issued Executive Order 13777, with the objective of reducing the regulatory burden on the American people.
· It requires federal agencies to undertake a review of their regulations to identify those that can be repealed, replaced, or modified.
· As part of this effort, federal agencies are soliciting public comments. It is important that A Team members comment on regulations that affect choice.
· Department of Education (DOE) Secretary Betsy DeVos has invited the public to submit comment advising her what regulations or guidance should be repealed, replaced, or modified.
· DOE has limited the choice of where a person can work in their interpretation of the law.
· Further details can be found in this Action Alert through ACCSES http://mailchi.mp/accses/action-alert-dept-of-education-public-comments-due-sept-20?e=3f8f22d430
Be an ADVOCATE: Your Comment Counts!
It must be submitted by 11:59PM Eastern on September 20, 2017. Go to this web address and click on “Comment”. (Date has been extended from 8.20.17 to 9.20.17)
PLEASE Cut and Past this into the beginning of your comment – to ensure it is matched to the correct regulation– I am commenting on Regulation ID: ED-2015-OSERS-001-1167, State Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program; State Supported Employment Services Program; Limitations on Use of Sub-minimum Wage.
Considerations to comment on:
1. Self-advocates tell where you work and why it is important to you.
2. Family members – tell DOE why the government shouldn’t take away work choices for your loved ones. Share your testimony as to why Community Rehabilitation Programs are important.
3. Tell DOE that WIOA regulations as written, limit the choices for training and employment for individuals under the age of 25 as they are not allowed to choose a Community Rehabilitation Program that offers training using the 14C special wage certificate.
4. Tell DOE the regulation is adverse to The Ability One and State set-aside programs, and to Community Rehabilitation Programs, by adding definitions and provisions that go beyond the intent of Congress in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, and thus will result in a loss of choice in jobs for individuals with disabilities.
Hello A TEAM Wisconsin members and friends:
As we continue our advocacy efforts in preservation of a full array of employment choices for all individuals with disabilities who have the desire for work; public awareness is essential. Therefore, when the MacIver Institute (www.maciverinstitute.com) decided to investigate the federal rule that may impact facility-based training, families and self-advocates were very willing to provide input and feedback.
As a result, the MacIver Institute has initiated a series of reports and videos that capture the importance of protecting all employment options for people with disabilities.
Please share this video with ALL of your friends and family members. It is vital that the message for CHOICE spreads throughout our community!
Video link: http://www.maciverinstitute.com/videos/2014/09/federal-rule-change-threatens-funding-for-disabled-workers/
Self-advocates and family members ~
It’s your time to SPEAK OUT on what is important to you!
Join us at Lakeside Packaging Plus
1040 Breezewood Lane, Neenah WI
August 11th, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Wisconsin’s Department of Health Services is requesting public comment on the future of employment and residential services for people with disabilities for a period of 30 days (August 1st – August 30th).
This meeting will provide you with the information necessary to VOICE your CHOICE!
Sponsored by: A TEAM Wisconsin www.ateamwisconsin.org
A Team Wisconsin is a grassroots movement established by individuals with disabilities and their family members to advocate, create awareness and advise those who care for our citizens with special needs to ensure service choices are protected and sustained.